Friday, June 12, 2009

Spruced up freezer pizza and salad


Andy is out drinking beers tonight (oh, sorry, that’s ‘doing his Best Man duties helping the groom find a wedding suit…yeah right), so I decided to give in to the little voice calling my name in the freezer. You know the one – it’s the prosciutto and salami frozen pizza that would be 800 calories if eaten entirely. And let’s not kid ourselves, we can polish that off in one go and still have room left over for the ice cream. That’s why we’re friends.

Anyhow, I decided that I could get more of my 5 a day if I stole the plum tomato idea from Andy. He saw Heston Blumenthal of Fat Duck fame do a preparation of tomatoes that ensures the viney flavor comes through. You blanch them in boiling water, peel the skins and then chop them up but leave them to sit with the vines in the bowl. That nice viney flavor thus comes through even though you have nice smooth skinless chunks of tomato. A little olive oil and salt help that mixture come to life.

My salad is the usual – lamb’s lettuce, goat cheese, almond accents. I love those almond accents. You can’t get them in the UK. When Susan came out in March it was one of our weird requests. She brought the entire range, something like 8 bags. We have one left before we need an emergency stock up trip to the US. Yes friends, my luggage when I enter the UK would have me well questioned by the authorities.

WeightWatchers Points: 8 for the pizza (half of the whole thing); 3-4 for the salad depending on how much goat cheese and almonds you put on

No comments:

Post a Comment