Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chicken mole with honey lime chipotle salad





When Susan came out a few months ago we asked her to bring us the strangest food items she could find to fire up our culinary imaginations. Among the treasures was what looked like a child’s chocolate milk juice box: Dona Maria Mole sauce. Now, I’d always though that mole sauce was ‘mexican chocolate sauce’, but for ideas on how best to serve it, I did a little research and had a ‘duh’ moment when I learned that “Mole” simply means ‘sauce’ or ‘concoction’ itself; Think guaca- mole for instance, no chocolate. However this particular version is the chocolate variety, with Mexican cocoa being about the tenth ingredient I think.

I sautéed up some chicken breast with a bit of salt and chipotle, and then topped it with a light drizzle of the mole and some roasted red peppers. I served that over a saffron-ated white rice.
---
As none of the veggies in the house seemed appropriate (chatenay carrots, asparagus and tenderstem broccoli), I simply served it with a plain salad. But to keep a bit with my Mexican theme I mixed up a dressing of lime juice, honey and chipotle. And I topped that with some diced tomato and a few broken up lime dorito chips. (Man oh brother man could I have gone wild on the chips – I do love the chips!)
---
Weightwatchers points: 13 points in total. Shockingly Dona Maria Mole was in the index of points for 4 points, 3 points for the chicken, 2 points for the chips, and 4 points for the rice.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you actually tried the mole. How was it?? Not surprised it had so many points, it's always the sauces that get ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, it desperately needed salt and a little more heat despite cayenne peppers being the second ingredient (after water i think). But it was actually quite good. Definitely more deep roasted pepper and less chocolatey. Cannot wait to make a few shopping trips with you to really find the humorous stuff to bring home to andy in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprised it needed salt, prepackaged stuff is usually so salt-heavy. Will definitely be some fun food shopping for Andy. Many southwestern delicacies await. Plus, Almond Accents are on sale again.

    ReplyDelete