Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My (bi) weekly salmon fix



Main: Sweet and spicy salmon with classic maiche salad

(maiche is a french salad leave called Lamb's Lettuce in some places)

I love salmon. I need to eat it twice a week or i go a little nutty. Ironically i cannot stand smoked salmon. So i get my fix in sushi and pan frying sustainably farmed salmon fillets at least twice a week.

I like my salmon a bit sweet and a bit spicy, charred black on the outside and raw but warm in the middle. After cooking it a couple hundred of times i have it down to a science. I wish i knew how to cook more fish well. Salmon is easy. When i order it in a restaurant i get upset if it's not perfect - so forgiving is this fish to cook, there is no excuse for that dry cottony textured stuff you so often get. Trust me, it's pretty hard to mess up salmon. But do try to inspect the fish before you buy. Bad input is always bad result.

Tonight's salmon was marinated in the asian pear and vanilla jam that Katy Oldham made last year with some crushed ginger, chipotle, a splash of olive oil and some malden sea salt. I throw a little butter in a frying pan and let it sizzle.

For the salad i mixed up my take on a classic french dressing - walnut oil, dijon mustard, a dash of balsamic, a smidgen of agave syrup and half a clove of garlic. i whip that up with a fork and smother the lettuce only with the dressing for perfect coverage. I topped tonight's salad with chopped tomato, leftover peanuts from last night's orange chicken and broccoli , goat cheese and shallot and pecorino croutons.

Weightwatchers point values: 7.5 for the salmon, 3.5 for the salad dressing and toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment