Saturday, June 27, 2009

Soup and Salad a la Leftovers


Staring into the fridge I found the tupperware container of the carrot and parsnip mash staring back at me along with the 3rd steak we grilled last night, and, on the counter, the bag of mini pitas from last night’s pita chips.
---

So for a nice filling Saturday lunch I decided to do a little leftover alchemy.
---

For the soup, I started with my normal base of garlic and onions in a little butter and then added chicken stock when the onions were nice and soft. I dumped in the carrot and parsnip mash and let them all come back to a nice simmer. I took that off the heat, threw it in the blender for a whiz and then brought it back onto the stove. I finished it off with a big dose of chili powder, some more maple syrup and a bit of cream.
---

For the salad, I used the 2 open containers of salad – one a mix of leaves that we just didn’t finish earlier in the week and one a bag of wild rocket I bought for our sandwiches except neither of us ate very many sandwiches this week for lunch. It feels so good not to waste food! I did my usual French walnut oil Dijon dressing and then topped the salad with slices of the steak, goat cheese, granny smith apple and almonds.
---

Finally I prepped the pitas exactly as I did last night – they were THAT good.
---

We dipped the pitas in the soup and used them as bases of little sandwiches from the salad.
---

What a filling lunch. And way (weigh?) more points than usual for lunch but we had them to spare today after a simple breakfast of low fat yogurt and fresh berries and cherries.
---

Weightwatchers points: 16 points as follows: 2 for the leftover steak, 3.5 for the soup, 6.5 for the pita chips, and 4 for the salad dressing/toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment