Monday, June 22, 2009

Baked Mexican(ish) Goodness


I don’t know exactly when I invented this recipe, but I had a hankering for tex mex cuisine and couldn’t decide on doing burritos, fajitas or enchiladas. Fundamentally they all have the same underlying ingredients (Wendy, don’t kill me) so I created something that was a hybrid all-of-the-above. It’s great for dinner parties as you can do all the massive pre-work ahead and then assemble and set aside or even in the fridge and then just pop it in the oven when you’re ready to serve. I think when I served it to Ashley and Marike and they asked me what it was called we branded it “Baked Mexican Goodness” and it stuck.
---
To make you need to prep 4 ingredients: cooked rice, a mock enchilada sauce, salsa and some sort of meat. The rice is easy, so I won’t say anything there. For the mock enchilada sauce I cook up some chicken stock and then add some corn flour to thicken and some cheese and chili powder. Try to make about 1.5-2 cups worth of sauce, (500 mls for the metric readers). For the salsa, you could use store bought but I whipped up a simple batch of tomato and coriander (cilantro) with hot pepper sauce. And tonight’s meat is chicken – pan fried, a little on the under done side since it will cook more in the oven later and you don’t want it dry.
---
Then, you put all that on the counter. In a glass baking dish you spread 2/3 of the enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. For the rolls, take out a tortilla, add a dollop of rice, chicken and salsa and then roll up and place on the enchilada sauce in the baking tray. Repeat until you run out of tortillas. Then spread with the remaining enchilada sauce, a sprinkle of grated cheese and whatever is left of your salsa.
---
Throw that in the oven and when the tortillas are crisp and the cheese on top is bubbly you have dinner. It makes great leftovers too. Plate it with a bit of salad and you have one delightful dinner of Goodness.
---
Weightwatchers points: assumes you eat 2 rolls worth: 13 points – 3 for the chicken, 4 for the tortillas, 2 for the rice, 4 for the sauce/cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment