Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Last night's dinner tonight



Cod with a citrus beurre blanc

Last night we ended up effectively going to bed without dinner. I blame the heat wave in London. Given that everything was prepped last night for our cod dinner, this evening’s cooking was a breeze. And without the starchy butternut soup, I added some lovely first of the season corn on the cob.

---


After a great success with a meaty sauce on last week’s cod, I decided to try something more delicate. Given how low in points a piece of cod is, I could splurge and do a beurre blanc. I’ve been told that when you are learning French sauces they start you on beurre blanc (white butter) first. It’s supposed to be a simple sauce – wine and shallots, then drain off the shallots and slowly whip in the butter until it thickens. No cream, no flour, no corn starch. Mine didn’t thicken, but it tasted lovely, and I went the extra mile and added this lovely lemon peel powder I have so technically it was a citrus beurre blanc.

---


For the cod, I flipped the raw fillets in some flour, pan seared the outside and shoved in the oven for ten minutes.

---


Finally some green beans and salad made up the rest of the plate.

---


This was a lovely, slow to eat, fulfilling dinner: Perfect for a warm summer evening. We’ll be eating a lot of cod.

---


Weightwatchers Points: 13 as follows: 3 for the fish, 5 for the beurre blanc, 4 for the salad toppings, 1 for the corn

No comments:

Post a Comment